Saturday, January 3, 2009

7 Weeks... 7 Weddings (sort of)

A new year has begun, so I thought I'd blog once again. I had so many options for the title of this blog, I thought "A Year of Weddings" or "The 27th Dress" or "Is there anybody out there who didn't get engaged?!?!" would all be appropriate. I decided to keep it simple. Let me explain.
I've learned that a lot can happen in a short period of time. I could say a year, but really it can happen in less time than that. The last 7 weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind for me. If you count, 7 weeks puts us back to roughly the middle of November, before Thanksgiving. That was when I found out that my very awesome cousin, Jon, got engaged!! Very exciting news, especially since this will be the first "family" wedding on Peters side. Yes, it will be a rocking Bell-Peters event, complete with all the awesome family and friends I have from Webster (or have met in Webster, even if they live elsewhere). That was engagement number 1. How many engagements could there be in just 7 weeks I wondered... and soon found out.

Within the next 7 weeks, 3 close friends from college, 2 girls from church and my best friend's little brother all got engaged. While each announcement brought up that old line "another one bites the dust" it also came with a lot of excitement. When I heard about my friend Kristy, the most recent, I think I actually jumped for joy.

So now, I have gone from 1 wedding in 2009, which I am the Maid of Honor for, to 5, maybe 6 weddings (depending on whether or not I'm invited). This will bring my grand total of weddings since 2000 to roughly 25 of 26, the exact number is not known because, while I can clearly remember and count 20 weddings, I have this feeling I keep forgetting a few. Now, this may seem depressing, all these weddings to go to, but really, I find it to be joyous. I was watching 27 Dresses this evening, with renewed appreciation. There were a few lines that stuck out to me, of course the "always, always, always a bridesmaid" line, which is pretty much my life, except I'm not a bridesmaid, just a guest, but also the discussion about why a girl would happily subject herself to attending so many weddings. In the movie, the main idea of the discussion is that each wedding is for the bride, not the bridesmaid, and then someday, those people will be there for you. I think, as a Christian, there is even more to enjoy about a wedding. Being able to see my friends (and family) make a commitment to share their life with another person, because they can honor and serve God more together than they can apart, is such an honor to me. Yes, I do hope and pray that someday all those people will be there to support me at my wedding, but until then, I will rejoice with my friends in the joy God has given them.

So for me, 2009 will be the year of weddings... for other people, but a lot can happen in a short amount of time.

I'll try to keep the updates coming, as I'll be doing a lot of traveling to get to all of these weddings. Hopefully I can find some friends to go with, too, or maybe even make some other stops along the way.

I hope you all are finding 2009 to be a year of adventure as you follow God's plan for your life. :)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thank you, Heather... I'm in pretty much the same boat as you (not quite that many though, lol) and when you were on the phone with Kristy, I believe I actually did say, "And another one bites the dust." Ha. Thanks for putting a positive, selfless spin on all these announcements. Sometimes it's hard to be happy all the time about it. But thank you for helping me think of the brides (and grooms!) and not just myself all the time. You rock, Shrub! :P