There are many reasons I love being a teacher... one of them is that I seem to get to relive my childhood in many ways. One of those happens to be snow days!!! I remember being a kid, and my mom was in charge of making the call to cancel school, so my brothers and I would help. We would watch the TV screen waiting for the different schools to scroll by, and then would scream out things like "Moon has gone 2 hour delay" or "there goes Cornell, how many is that?" Then we'd cheer when we would find out that we were going to delay, or better yet, close. Ah, the good ol' days! What I miss most was that snow days meant home days. We would spend time outside, together, sledding down the front yard. We had a jump even. Of course, our front yard went right into the road, but that was fine with us. We would get huge snow falls and and the plow would go by and build up these big walls of snow on the edge of the road. Sledding down we'd hit the edge and just jump out into the road, to see how far across you could get. The best times were when we'd know the night before that there was no school, and we were in the middle of a huge snow fall. We'd go out with our neighbor and sled by the street lights. We'd be on the look-out for plows, and would run to the edge and hit the deck. Oh, it was a crazy time!! I miss those good ol' days, fun and care-free. So, if you are young, soak it up, it doesn't last forever.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Snow Day
There are many reasons I love being a teacher... one of them is that I seem to get to relive my childhood in many ways. One of those happens to be snow days!!! I remember being a kid, and my mom was in charge of making the call to cancel school, so my brothers and I would help. We would watch the TV screen waiting for the different schools to scroll by, and then would scream out things like "Moon has gone 2 hour delay" or "there goes Cornell, how many is that?" Then we'd cheer when we would find out that we were going to delay, or better yet, close. Ah, the good ol' days! What I miss most was that snow days meant home days. We would spend time outside, together, sledding down the front yard. We had a jump even. Of course, our front yard went right into the road, but that was fine with us. We would get huge snow falls and and the plow would go by and build up these big walls of snow on the edge of the road. Sledding down we'd hit the edge and just jump out into the road, to see how far across you could get. The best times were when we'd know the night before that there was no school, and we were in the middle of a huge snow fall. We'd go out with our neighbor and sled by the street lights. We'd be on the look-out for plows, and would run to the edge and hit the deck. Oh, it was a crazy time!! I miss those good ol' days, fun and care-free. So, if you are young, soak it up, it doesn't last forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are still young :)
Post a Comment