Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Smiling in a Post Office

Ok... so I really hate going to places and doing things that aren't familiar, so going to the Post Office to mail some packages was on my "really don't want to do this" list. However, my only resolution for this new year was to try new things that I previously avoided. So, I picked up my boxes (Christmas gifts... only 2 weeks late) and walked into the Post Office. Instantly I was terrified that I would do something stupid and make a fool of myself or get the workers mad at me. So as I stood in line, holding my awkward boxes, I watched as the two workers were helping customers. There was a guy who was busy trying to do something, there were a lot of "sign here" and "fill this out" from the worker, and then the other customer was a soldier, who was just mailing a small package. When the lady waiting on the soldier told him the total I was totally astounded as the guy next to him leaned over, gave her (practically threw her) his debit card and told that guy not to worry about it, it was covered! It was only like $7 or something, but for a guy who is busy doing his own thing to stop to thank a soldier by picking up his postage was just really awesome. Part of me really wanted to ask the guy why he did that... I wondered if he had a story; a son in the service, or he was a veteran or if he was just a really nice guy, but I guess I will be left to wonder. Random acts of kindness are very cool! :)

No comments: