Sunday, November 9, 2008
What is "home"?
When I was in college holidays always meant it was time for everyone to pack up and go home. The odd thing was that I always felt like I was already at home, but I was also going home. Is it possible to have multiple homes? Is it possible to not have a home? I think yes. The old saying "Home is where the Heart is" may be over-used, but it is true. When I was in college home was both at GCC and in Robinson, because my friends and family were in those places, and I belonged in both places. So what about now? I live in two houses, but often if you asked I would tell you I currently have no home. If anything my home is a roughly 30+ year old building in Robinson (aka RTCS/Providence) because that is not only where I spend most of my time, but a common link for most of the people close to me. Then there is the fact that my dearest friends from GCC are scattered across the country, so we aren't in one "home" place anymore. What about my parents' house you ask... well, that will always be home to some degree, but more and more I am a visitor there, not a resident. Truly, I am looking forward to going to my New York home for Thanksgiving to visit my family up there... because that is what you do for holidays, right? You go home. So I may not have one home, I have many, because my heart is with my friends and family, no matter where they are, and according to that old saying, where they are, that is my home. So I guess no matter where I go, as long as I'm visiting loved ones I am always going home... I like that idea. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment