Recently I had a rather bizarre and somewhat overwhelming few days. It always seems that everything happens at once, good, bad or otherwise. Then there was a blackout. Literally. The area was hit with 20+ mph winds and trees were knocked over and the power was gone. Part of me just wanted to laugh. As a kid I always loved blackouts. Blackouts meant that we lit candles and sat around playing games by flashlight or reading by the windows or just talking. As a pyro-fan just being allowed to run around lighting candles was enough, but the real joy was the whole family being stuck in one room. Unfortunately/fortunately my parents' house has excellent power lines and when everyone else went black we still had light, meaning not many blackouts. When the most recent blackout hit I was at "my" house, and realized I had nothing to do. I didn't even have candles to light. It was 9:30 and my only option was bed. The simplicity of it all just struck me as being so perfect after such craziness. Then I drove down to my parents house and that was when I was hit with the truth. This blackout was a reminder of God's amazing power. I live in a suburb, where any given night I can drive to my parents' house and every house has so many lights on I can see plain as day. Here I was driving, a little freaked by the wind, and there was nothing but darkness all around me. I almost hit a tree that had fallen in the road. Then I crested the hill and saw my parents' street... all lit up by street lights and houses, like nothing was happening. It was home, safe, secure and home. Now, I may be stretching here, but it really struck me that God could wipe out all the power and leave one street on to guide me home. Here I was fretting about decisions I had to make and other things happening, when outside there is a storm raging and then the lights go black except one path. Okay, so it sounds a little more poetic than it really was, and I didn't really get "answers" by going home. Tonight I went outside and there was a light breeze and a moon that was shining so bright it was illuminating the backyard all by itself. So why do I freak out when my God can send a raging wind, or a gentle whisper? Maybe the next time I feel like life is getting to crazy I should just find the fuse box and pull a few switches.... or I could just sit down with my flashlight, my Bible and no other lights.
For now, I'm thinking I need to go back to my favorite verse, Matthew 6:33+34... there's a reason it is carved in my brain, I need to hear it over and over.....
1 comment:
i think that's a great reminder of god's power! :)
and i get a little freaked out by the wind out here... and driving on roads where it is just farmland so there isn't a light for miles...
once in a snowstorm, I was driving on one of those roads and I literally could see NOTHING not even the front of my car... THAT was freaky! :)
Post a Comment